ORGANS OF PARIS © 2020 Vincent Hildebrandt HOME D-R
The first instrument of twenty stops on 2 keyboards with
pedal borrowed from the Grand-Orgue was installed by
Eugene and John Abbey (factors of English origin) in 1881.
There is almost no archive left on this original instrument.
Having become in very poor condition, it was completely
transformed and restored in 1964 by Muller. Part of its
piping was modified to make its composition richer and the
pedal was equipped with 5 independent stops (funds of 16,
8, 8, 4 and a Basson 16).
Nearly fifteen years later, the instrument showed worrying
signs of degradation. Faced with the poor condition of the
wind chests and the transmission system, the decision was
taken to rebuild and enlarge the organ in a classical style as
already initiated during its transformation in 1964, thanks
to a large financial contribution from the city of Paris,
although this organ is not classified. The reconstructed
instrument is equipped with 4 sound planes with the
addition of a positive in a new buffet in harmony with the
main buffet, a new console, a new wind tunnel and a fully
mechanical traction. The old piping was reused after
adaptation and re-harmonization.
The work was entrusted to Benoist and Sarélot who
delivered the new instrument at the end of 1980. It was
inaugurated on February 1, 1981 by Monique Rabeau, its
titulaire at the time.
The current instrument is therefore of classical aesthetics, it
features 31 real stops spread over a Grand-Orgue of 56
notes, a Positive of 56 notes, an Echo of 39 notes and a
Pedal of 30 notes.
Although extensively transformed and modified since its
creation , this organ has been intelligently redesigned,
taking care to preserve and reuse the original acoustic
material, giving this instrument a beautiful sound palette.
Text: Thierry Correard
Photos: Vladimir Saakian and Thierry Correard
Famous organist in the past: Auguste
Schirlé (Erstein 1895-Paris ,1971)
Masses with organ
Saturday 6:30 PM,
Sunday 10, 11:30 AM and 6:30 PM