Saint Séverin dates back to the end of the 11th century, built
on the place of a former chapel (VIth century). The clocktower
dates to 1412. Its present apparance in flamboyant Gothic
style dates back to the 15-17th century.
The organ was built by Claude Ferrand (1748), using pipes
from the former organ, probably of Valéran de Héman (1610).
In 1889, the organ was transformed by into a symphonic
organ. In 1963, a reconstruction and reconception of the
orginal French classical organ into a neo-classical German-
French concept was carried out by Alfred Kern.
26 stops date from before the revolution (or party from
Dallery), 10 stops of Abbey were re-used but intonated into the
new concept, 22 stops are new. Of the reeds, the Cormorne als
well as the Trumpet of the positive and the Voix Humaine of
the Récit date from the 17th century, but were modified.
Between 1964 and 1982, an unknown organ builder replaced
the Bombarde 16 of the great with the Musette 16 of the Récit,
re-used as an eight foot. At the same time the Hautbois 4 was
changed into eight foot at the same keyboard. In 1982, Daniel
Kern moved le Quintaton 8 of the Positif to the Récit. The old
Trompette 8 of the Echo was moved to its original place on the
Positif, the Clairon 4 of the Echo was changed into a Trompette
8 and and a new Sifflet 1 was added. All these changes were
conserved in 2011, when the organ was restored by Quentin
Blumenroeder, with respect to the harmonisation and tuning
in close cooperation with Jean-Marie Tricoteaux (reeds) and
Dominique Thomas (other stops). The work of Alfred Kern was
François Espinasse, Nicolas Bucher, Christophe
Mantoux, Guillaume Nussbaum.
Famous organists in the past: Nicolas Séjan, Camille
Saint-Saëns, Michel Chapuis.
Regularly on Saturdays.
Masses with organ
Sunday 10.30 AM, 12 AM, 16 PM, 19.30 PM.
Improvisations by Michel Alabau (former co-